News page in the Wiki

Chris Nolan chris at cenolan.com
Sun Nov 9 20:55:31 CET 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Sure, I got that and I tend to agree. But let me say what I meant in
> different words again: Afaics most RPM Fusion (or
> dribble/frehsrpms/livna beforehand) contributors up to now didn't blog
> much about their 3rd party work -- at least I didn't see much blog
> posts about it on planet fedora. There is also not that much
> contribution to our wiki from packagers. So maybe most packagers are
> not that interested in "writing about their work and their packages"
> and that's why I'm not 100% sure that this will be different with a
> official RPM Fusion blog (¹).

I share your concerns so while I think it is a great idea I am also
unsure whether it would work in practice. I would certainly blog on my
own blog about say wl-kmod being available but IMO the better place for
such a post would be an official rpmfusion blog that is aggregated to
planet and others giving it maximum exposure to the target audience.

We could encourage other contributors to blog when they release a new
package or an update - it only takes a few lines to say "foo version x.x
is now available in rpmfusion - it has these fixes and these new
features, all users should upgrade, you can upgrade like this.." - if
they want to go mad they could even include a screenshot or two. It
would hopefully also encourage some more feedback from end-users -
especially those that aren't comfortable raising bugzilla bugs - we may
also get tons of "i can't get it to work" comments, which would be annoying.

A good example of someone who does blog about RPM updates is Remi Collet
and I have often found out about new builds of his packages through
reading planet fedora (I dont have his repo enabled by default).

> But we'll see; maybe I'd wrong (hopefully I am). I just thought it's
> worth mentioning. What my mind maybe wanted to say: Maybe start small
> and don't put to much work in FAS authentications before we know for
> sure that people will use that blog.

I think the wordpress FAS plugin will be fairly trivial to make - at
least for basic functionality. Also Toshio was saying that the fedora
folk may want to use it too since they have been toying with the idea of
using wordpress-mu. Therefore I don't mind expending a little time on it
and we can see if it takes off.

> (¹) Further: I often think "hey, I should blog about this" and later
> don't find time for it; I fear that will be the same with a official
> RPM Fusion blog...

True, me too.