Status of RPM Fusion for EL

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Nov 10 20:09:06 CET 2008

On 10.11.2008 15:05, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> If we do that then 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 users will not be able to install
>> those gstreamer packages, as these will Require the newer gstreamer
>> packages from RHEL-5.3, if that is ok with EPEL's guidelines, then I'm
>> all for it.
> That's true for all of EPEL, to not have separate repos for each 5.0,
> 5.1, 5.2, etc..., and the choice was made to only really support the
> latest for now.

And I think it makes the most sense, as the Z-Streams/the Extended
Update Support (EUS) (e.g. update support for 5.1 after 5.2 is out) are
only done for certain releases, only for a shorter lifespan and only if
you pay extra for them iirc. Hence the bulk of users always will be on
the latest release of a RHEL family (RHEL4, RHEL5).