suns' java leagal issues

مؤيد السعدي muayyad.alsadi at ojuba.org
Mon Nov 17 21:42:46 CET 2008

there was a long heated thread on fedora ML titled "Proposal: Rolling
Release"
and some people mentioned something about sun's java and ubuntu was
mentioned
> How many years has fedora policy forced a horribly fractured 3rd party
repository situation - and not had a working java at  all while Ubuntu's
approach was much more  ensible?

> All I can say is that with Ubuntu you can pick vendor drivers and Sun
Java 1.5 from the software management tool and you almost never have to
worry about conflicts among packages from the different repositories. I've
repeatedly requested these things in fedora and been repeatedly told it
wasn't going to happen.

the rpm provided by sun is broken, and I was advised by fedora solved not
to use the rpm
and to use the self installer

any of the two mean that I can't use package manager to get it
I can't install netbeans ..etc. from package manager

..etc. I think it's very easy to make a sun's tarball into a good rpm the
have the proper Provides: section and that uses fedora's alternatives
...etc.

but when I asked about this I was told they they can't be redistributed, if
this is the case how did ubuntu people did it ?

we have a non-free section in rpmfusion, in ubuntu world they call it
"multiverse"

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components

I noticed that they ship sun's java

http://javachannel.net/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JavaOnUbuntu

sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre

why we don't pack suns' java like them ? is there any legal issue ? and
what are the counter legal procedures done by ubuntu people in order to
provide that package and redistribute it