suns' java leagal issues

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Nov 17 22:05:45 CET 2008

مؤيد السعدي wrote:

> but when I asked about this I was told they they can't be redistributed, if
> this is the case how did ubuntu people did it ?

You'd have to recheck Sun's licensing for their binaries.  I seem to
recall them not being redistributable either (jpackage requested such
from Sun way back when).

Keep in mind that Ubuntu has the luxury of being based outside of any
(most) legal jurisdictions, so can potentially skirt issues like that.

Point is: fedora (and rpmfusion) still do care about legal
redistributability.

-- Rex