suns' java leagal issues

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 17 22:24:13 CET 2008

مؤيد السعدي wrote:
> any of the two mean that I can't use package manager to get it
> I can't install netbeans ..etc. from package manager
What isn't working with open jdk ?
Works for me: yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk
What isn't working for you ?
   (Have you posted a bugzilla.redhat.com bugs ?)

> why we don't pack suns' java like them ? is there any legal issue ? and
We build from source. this includes the jdk.

> what are the counter legal procedures done by ubuntu people in order to
> provide that package and redistribute it
Not care...

For a complete history, you could summarize the java discussions in
fedora-devel. Otherwise, are the following helpful ? :
- https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java
- https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ

DaveT.