the libdvdcss issue

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 18 11:42:44 CET 2008

On 18.11.2008 11:12, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 18.11.2008 09:28, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
 >
>>> 2) we still need to make this work seamlessly for end users, so if we
>>> do this I vote for putting a .repo file pointing to livna in
>>> rpmfusion-nonfree-release
>> I strongly vote against that. If I as user install a package foo-release
>> then I expect it to only install repo files for the repo "foo" and not
>> for random other 3rd party repos I might never have heard of or which I
>> might not want. And something like that could backfire on us/taint us
>> easily as well.
> Well, it is not a random third party repo now is it,

For current users: no. But I bet in a year or two new Fedora users will
get confused and start to answer question.

> it is one of the repos
> which make up the new rpmfusion, also we want this to work seamlessly.

Enabling a repository that ships libdvdcss automatically is nearly just
as bad as shipping it directly in our repos (¹). It hence would
pollute/taint RPM Fusion and imho is a completely no go.

> Yes a tool where you can click install adobe flashplayer / install adobe reader
> / install google earth would be great. But I think it should be about
> installing apps, not about repo's, as people want apps not repos. That this
> enables repos under the hood is something which we should make clear to the end
> user. I do however not believe that this is the answer for libdvdcss, what I
> would like to see for libdvdcss is:
> rpm -ivh http://.......rpmfusion-nonfree-release.....rpm
> yum install libdvdcss
>
> To just work, this is way too convoluted IMHO:
> rpm -ivh http://.......rpmfusion-nonfree-release.....rpm
> yum install thirdparty-repo-enabler
> thirdparty-repo-enabler
> <click, click, wait, click>
> yum install libdvdcss

Sure, the latter is a bit more complicated, but imho it's the right
thing to do, especially as the user might do something that is illegal
in his country.

(¹) the reasons are similar to the reasons why Fedora doesn't even link
to RPM Fusion