the libdvdcss issue

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Tue Nov 18 11:57:58 CET 2008

On Tuesday, 18 November 2008 at 11:42, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 18.11.2008 11:12, Hans de Goede wrote:
[...]
> >it is one of the repos
> >which make up the new rpmfusion, also we want this to work seamlessly.
>
> Enabling a repository that ships libdvdcss automatically is nearly just
> as bad as shipping it directly in our repos (¹). It hence would
> pollute/taint RPM Fusion and imho is a completely no go.
[...]
> >To just work, this is way too convoluted IMHO:
> >rpm -ivh http://.......rpmfusion-nonfree-release.....rpm
> >yum install thirdparty-repo-enabler
> >thirdparty-repo-enabler
> ><click, click, wait, click>
> >yum install libdvdcss
>
> Sure, the latter is a bit more complicated, but imho it's the right
> thing to do, especially as the user might do something that is illegal
> in his country.

I thought only distribution of unauthorized binaries that allow you
to access CSS-obfuscated content was illegal in some countries,
but please feel free to point me to an article of law that says that
playback of a legally purchased DVD is a crime, too.

> (¹) the reasons are similar to the reasons why Fedora doesn't even link
> to RPM Fusion

I thought one of the main points of creating RPMFusion was to allow Fedora
to link to us. If that doesn't happen, we might as well keep libdvdcss.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."