Small update to the kmod2 documentation

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Sep 14 11:10:34 CEST 2008

Hi!

Just to make sure everybody notices it: I did a small change to the
Kmod2 documentation (to be precise: to the the kmod spec file template)
in the wiki:

- Release: 1{?dist}
+ Release: 1{?dist}.1

Background: It happened in the past now and then that kernel modules for
an older Fedora release had a higher EVR due to kmod release bumps
during rebuilds for newly released kernels. Example:

- Packages

kmod-foo-1.fc8
kmod-foo-1.fc9

  get build and pushed to the repo.

- Now Fedora ships new kernels for F-8 and F-9 in parallel; release in
the F8 and F9 spec files for kmod-foo get bumbed and the kmod build and
pushed:

kmod-foo-2.fc8
kmod-foo-2.fc9

- A F8 specific bug is found in the F8 Kernel; a new one gets pushed to
the Fedora repos. The kmod rebuilds commands I use (which I plan to put
into a script that I hope to run as cron job somewhere sooner or later)
during kmod bumps for new kernels don't know that and thus just bump
release; thus

kmod-foo-3.fc8

  gets build and pushed to the repos. That breaks the upgrade path from
F8 to F9 from that point of time until F9 catches up again.

I plan to adjust the kmods for RPM Fusion/Livna over time (during import
for RPM Fusion might be a good point of time). Help from maintainers
appreciated.