Where we are and where do we what to go?

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Tue Feb 10 11:48:22 CET 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis píše v Út 10. 02. 2009 v 10:14 +0100:
> On 10.02.2009 09:57, Dan Horák wrote:
> > Thorsten Leemhuis píše v Po 09. 02. 2009 v 19:58 +0100:
> >> Hmmm. kde-redhat is something special, so a dedicated repo for it makes
> >> a lot of sense afaics.
> >> But do you need to have your own dedicated experimental repo. Might a
> >> general experimental repo be a better solution? Not sure myself, just
> >> want to hear options...
> >
> > Oh, I was thinking that we are going to offer a merger for the personal
> > or highly specialized repos into one experimental repo (if possible)
> > that will use RPM Fusion's infrastructure.
> > [...]
> > When there should be multiple repos, then I would prefer to divide them
> > by relation to Fedora/RPM Fusion (eg. experimental, backports) rather
> > then by area (kde, mono, math, ...)
>
> A dedicated "math" repo like really is not needed -- those packages are
> likely more suitable for a general experimental and/or staging repo. But
> I guess some sort of spits by area will be needed -- I guess that (for
> example) the kde-redhat users likely don't want to get highly
> experimental graphics drivers from the same repo when they run yum-update.
>
> Or how would you solve that? Excludes and includepkgs statements in the
> repo files are likely way to complicated...

I should have known it will be complicated, but let's try to categorize
the possible stuff:

- new packages => no conflicts with Fedora/RPM Fusion => 2 repos (stable
+ testing), stable enabled by default

- existing packages
	- experimental
		- examples: codeblocks
	- backports
		- examples:
	- forwardports (new stable versions from Fedora into EL)
		- examples: zabbix (no rebase 1.4->1.6 planned due DB
		changes etc, but some users would appreciate to have
		the 1.6)

		- one repo for each category, disabled by default, user
		must manually enable the repo and pick the package he
		want to install or update

	- special cases like kde-redhat - 2 repos (again stable +
		 testing) per case, stable enabled by default

Does this sound feasible?

		Dan