Devel buildsys broken?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Feb 27 14:03:09 CET 2009

On 27.02.2009 10:55, Andrea Musuruane wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> No, the problem is that you need to use RPM 4.6 on the host system to build
>> Rawhide packages, see the discussions on the fedora-devel-list.
> If the problem is that our build system doesn't yet use RPM 4.6, why
> don't we update it?

One reason: Because the PPC builder uses F9 and is used for other things
as well -- so simply updating it to a RPM version might break other
crucial services on that machine. Thus is needs to be properly discussed
and planed how to move forward before we can do something. I tried to
reach the owner of the PPC machine (who's traveling right now) yesterday
to discuss a solution, but didn't get a response yet.

Another reason: Somebody needs to sit down and actually do install the
new rpm (a sane one; not one that is found unsigned somewhere on the
net!) on the two x86-builders that both run CentOS 5.

But the real reason is a different one:

*Our organization in regards to infrastructure maintenance sucks. A lot.*

We afaics need a real infrastructure team with at least two or three
*active* (e.g. not only driven by events like breakage) people that take
care of the builders and all the other infra we have. Only then RPM
Fusion will last. I had hoped Xavier would form such a team, but that
didn't happen afaics and he afaics seems to be quite busy with real life
and Fedora-tasks right now, otherwise I guess he would have foreseen
this problem and acted already.

P.S.: Please note that I don't want to get counted as part of the
"infrastructure team". Yes, I have access to some (nearly all) of the
builders (sometimes I'm the only one that has access), but I really want
to hand the responsibility over to a infra team. But there is nobody I
can hand it over to afaics. Reminder: I just did infra work in the past
because somebody had to do it to get RPM Fusion running.

And another reminder: Our infra is quite fragile afaics. We have lots of
single-points of failure and there are lots of hacks here and there to
make things work. That could become a real problem in the long run if we
don't form a real active infra team.