Devel buildsys broken?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 28 03:55:32 CET 2009

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> One reason: Because the PPC builder uses F9 and is used for other things
> as well -- so simply updating it to a RPM version might break other
> crucial services on that machine. Thus is needs to be properly discussed
> and planed how to move forward before we can do something. I tried to
> reach the owner of the PPC machine (who's traveling right now) yesterday
> to discuss a solution, but didn't get a response yet.
>
> Another reason: Somebody needs to sit down and actually do install the
> new rpm (a sane one; not one that is found unsigned somewhere on the
> net!) on the two x86-builders that both run CentOS 5.

Mitr has built RPM 4.6 packages for F9 and EL5:
http://people.redhat.com/mitr/sha256-rpm/
Several people have upgraded their RPM to these builds successfully, I
haven't read about any breakage yet.

Of course you could also build your own if you don't trust the way these are
published...

Note that if the machines are running stuff like GDB, that stuff also needs
to be rebuilt against the new librpm (or a compat package used, but using a
compat librpm when the system uses a newer RPM might be a source of
trouble).

        Kevin Kofler