Custom patched kernels in RPMFusion

Felix Kaechele felix at fetzig.org
Thu Jan 8 21:56:11 CET 2009

Good evening :)

I run a firewall server for my school using Fedora. I currently patch in
a l7-filter patch (http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/) in by hand because
we need to block some stuff based on the network data (i.e. not port or
protocol). I think it would be a great benefit to other users to have
such kernels available from a repository rather than patching them by
hand since l7-filter is also of great help as far as traffic shaping is
concerned. Especially as the l7-patch only requires one extra kernel
config option means that the generic Fedora config could stay
essentially the same.

I already shared my idea of providing custom patched kernels in
RPMFusion with Thorsten and he said that it would be an interesting
thing to do. But I also, of course, want to know the opinion of the
other contributors as this is a decision that should be made by not only
a few people.

Do you think this is a thing we could/should do? How does our build
infrastructure like it to regularly be jammed by kernel builds? Or does
this raise your concern in any other way?

I'm really eager to hear your comments.

Felix