pkgconfig problem on RHEL-5

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Tue Jan 20 11:35:31 CET 2009

Hi,

> > I'd like to ask ... I am trying to compile ffmpeg plugin for
> > qmmp, but cmake fails to recognize the needed libraries:
> >
> > ... snip ...
> > -- checking for modules 'libavcodec;libavformat'
> > --   package 'libavcodec' not found
> > --   package 'libavformat' not found
> > ... snip ...
>
> Are you sure ffmpeg-devel from the EL-5 testing repository was
> actually installed on the buildroot ?

yes, I am pretty sure that it is available as I am trying that
live on my system (I mean manually running cmake, or make
x86_64)

> > I've also tried to run pkg-config on commandline:
> >
> > [root at dhcp-lab-227 rhel]# pkg-config libavcodec; echo $?
> > 1
> > [root at dhcp-lab-227 rhel]# pkg-config libavformat; echo $?
> > 1
>
> you don't have requested anything at this time. So an empty
> result was expected.

as far as I understand the docs, the exitcode indicates whether
the package can be used or not - 0 (on Fedora) is ok, 1 is bad

> Try with:
> [root at kwizatz firmware]# pkg-config libavcodec --libs
> -lavcodecrpmfusion (yes, this is my own tweaked version,
> should have been -lavcodec).

well, now it gets interesting:

[root at dhcp-lab-227 10]# pkg-config libavcodec --libs
Package libraw1394 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libraw1394.pc'
Package 'libraw1394', required by 'libavcodec', not found

and the Fedora machine:

[root at F10 ~]# pkg-config libavcodec --libs
-lavcodec

so let's try yum install libraw1394-devel:

[root at dhcp-lab-227 10]# pkg-config libavcodec --libs
Package theora was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `theora.pc'
Package 'theora', required by 'libavcodec', not found

ok, then yum install libtheora-devel:

[root at dhcp-lab-227 10]# pkg-config libavcodec --libs
-lavcodec
[root at dhcp-lab-227 10]# pkg-config libavformat; echo $?
0

voila! - cmake can now detect ffmpeg correctly

thanks for the inspiration what to try

/me is going to file a bug about missing dependencies now

K.