RFC regarding rpmfusion-{non,}free-release and F11

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 14 07:53:57 CEST 2009

On 13.05.2009 22:20, Till Maas wrote:
> On Di Mai 12 2009, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> - mark the repo files for the initial rpmfusion-{non,}free-release-11
>> package as %config instead of %config(noreplace). That way we make sure
>> the new repo files get into the right place and actually used by yum; if
>> the old repo files had been modified then they get saved as .rpmsave
>> files and users would need to merge those changes into the new files
>> (but they would have to do that anyway, even if the files would be
>> marked as %config(noreplace))
>
>> Does that sound like a plan? Yes, I'm well aware that it has some
>> downsides, but afaics it's the one that works painlessly for most
>> people. Or am I missing a better way?
>
> Imho repo config files must not be marked as %config without noreplace,
> because they may contain vital options that may mess up the whole system if
> they are overwritten, e.g. if options like excludepkgs, priority or protect
> are removed.

Our repo files OTOH contain vital options that are needed to make things
work. And people that do such major changes to the repo files really
should expect that they need to revisit those when doing a update to a
new major release.

And yes, I tend to partly agree with your comments, but "replace repo
files" IMHO here is the principle of least astonishment/surprise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

> In the fedora.repo file from F10, there is $basearch used in the URL of the
> gpgkey, maybe it is also possible to use $releasever there, so that it is
> possible to use the same gpgkey URL for several Fedora Releases, e.g.
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-$releasever

Something like that is actually my plan -- ideally with a seperate
rpmfusion-{,non}free-keys package or something like that, as we can get
new keys out to the users of old releases without shipping a new
rpmfusion-{,non}free-release.

/me wonders if we should quickly try to realize that before F11 is ready