RFC regarding rpmfusion-{non,}free-release and F11

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu May 14 10:25:24 CEST 2009

On Do Mai 14 2009, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Our repo files OTOH contain vital options that are needed to make things
> work. And people that do such major changes to the repo files really
> should expect that they need to revisit those when doing a update to a
> new major release.

People who do not change their repo file will also not get any .rpmnew file.
If you expect people that changed their repo config to check them after a new
major release, what is then wrong with not overwriting theirs?

> And yes, I tend to partly agree with your comments, but "replace repo
> files" IMHO here is the principle of least astonishment/surprise.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

Why is this? For years an update of *-release packages created .rpmnew files
instead of overwriting the old ones.

> > In the fedora.repo file from F10, there is $basearch used in the URL of
> > the gpgkey, maybe it is also possible to use $releasever there, so that
> > it is possible to use the same gpgkey URL for several Fedora Releases,
> > e.g.
> > gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-$release
> >ver
>
> Something like that is actually my plan -- ideally with a seperate
> rpmfusion-{,non}free-keys package or something like that, as we can get
> new keys out to the users of old releases without shipping a new
> rpmfusion-{,non}free-release.

How about using above URL in a new release of rpmfusion release and move the
F10 key in to appropriate file and symlink the old path to the F11 key, e.g.:

file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora ->
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-11

file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-10 - F10 Key
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-free-fedora-11 - F11 Key

This should not cause any problems for anyone. If rpmfusion-release is
installed the first time, then it works for F10 and F11. If it is updated in
F10, then the F10 Key is already in the rpm database. Therefore in case the
repo config was changed and still contains the old URL for the gpgkey, it is
still possible to update F10 packages and as soon as the system is changed to
F11, yum will prompt the user to import the F11 key.

Regards
Till