RPM Fusion (Fedora - nonfree) Package Build Report 2009-05-13

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 14 19:17:34 CEST 2009

On 14.05.2009 13:42, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2009/5/13  <rpmfusion-pkgs-report at rpmfusion.org>:
>> Packages built and released for RPM Fusion (Fedora - nonfree) development: 6
>>
>>    fglrx-kmod-9.4-0.2.beta.fc11.5
>> fglrx-kmod-9.4-0.2.beta.fc11.5
>> ------------------------------
>> * Wed May 13 2009 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora [AT] leemhuis [DOT] info> - 9.4-0.2.beta.5
>> - rebuild for new kernels
>
> fglrx is :
> - Meant to stay at 9.3 release (newer release is catalyst and start with 9.4)
> - Isn't compatible (despite it built) with 2.6.29 kernels.
> It produce random crash hard freeze, log,etc.
>
> For all theses reason, the fgrlx package needs to be removed from the
> devel/F-11 repository right now...

Then go and mark it as dead.package in CVS for devel, as it will show up
with the next kernel and the rebuild of all kmods for it.

Note that there is a good reason why http://rpmfusion.org/Guidelines
contains:

"""
Note that all kmod packages in CVS always have to be in a state where
they can get rebuild and pushed to the package repositories immediately
without breaking package dependencies. That is very important and
crucial, as the kmods often need to get quickly rebuilt for a newly
released Fedora kernel.
"""

The reason basically is this script:

for i in *-kmod/devel/*.spec; do sed -i 's!^.*define buildforkernels
newest!\%define buildforkernels newest!' ${i}; rpmdev-bumpspec -r -c "-
rebuild for new kernels" ${i} > /dev/null ; pushd $(dirname ${i}); make
clog; cvs diff -u ; sleep 5; cvs commit -F clog; rm clog; make tag
build; popd; done

So it's up to you to do something.

> Furthermore we are expecting the newly introduced catalyst-kmod
> package to be built for F-10/2.6.27 kernel

I did see a lot of confusing and indirect request on IRC, but nobody
told me what exactly what is needed and why it's worth spending my time
for it. Most of those IRC statements also were during work hours, so I
didn't pay to much attention.

IOW: Mail or bugs are stronly prefered if it's something that takes more
than a minute or two to do -- especially during work hours.

> This package has the hacky patch to make it build for 2.6.29 kernel
> remove to prevent akmod to produce a buggy kmod-catalyst package for
> the 2.6.29 kernel in updates-testing.

/me hopes that AMD sooner or later properly supports up2date kernels

/me suspects that will never happen