delta rpm's for RPM Fusion?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Thu May 14 21:10:03 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 21:02 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:48:02 +0200, Thorsten wrote:
>
> > On 12.05.2009 03:01, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > Any plans to support this in RPM Fusion?
> >
> > Besides "would be nice to have": not that I'm aware of.
>
> There's the old thread from November. Some unanswered questions (hardware
> resources, repo layout, verifying that the buildsys machine has the needed
> deps available and installed), not much buy-in. Also, deltarpms tools have
> had some problems, such as exiting with error return-code for empty but
> valid repos. Things like that need a decision.

FWIW, createrepo now creates the deltarpms in the Fedora infrastructure,
rather than the presto-utils.

As for hardware resources, in Fedora we're not generating deltarpms for
rpms larger than 100MB as we can't guarantee that only one makedeltarpm
instance is running at a time.  This means we use no more than 300MB of
RAM for any one instance, at the cost of not having deltarpms for some
of the packages that could really use it.

> > Well, you need the old RPM to create deltas, but right now those
> > immediately get deleted for the rawhide trees (which can be changed
> > easily, but keeping one older versions for each package in rawhide would
> > waste some space)).
>
> Hmmm, we've had to work around many issue for Fedora Extras since day one.
> Space constraints, fatal bugs in createrepo and other tools, ... with Rawhide
> (and as a last resort if repo space matters) one could modify RepoPrune
> to not delete packages but move them elsewhere where they would be
> available for deltarpms creation. They could be deleted afterwards.

Jonathan