How to move on with infrastructure?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:15:03 CET 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:50:49 +0800, solarflow99 wrote:

> >> - it sometimes take a lot of time until cvs requests are done
> > I have offer my help and ask for documentation how it's works.
> >
> > But unfortunately I haven't got any response.
>

> I have been updating the docs all the painful way,  what areas are do
> you see as lacking?  Myself, I had trouble understanding how to
> properly use CVS,

Using CVS is explained in several books (checking out files, creating
working-copies, changing files, adding new files, committing changes,
creating tags, creating diffs, to mention a few things). Only a few minor
details are specific to RPM Fusion (and Fedora) and how cvs is used there:
use of "make" and Makefile targets to provide a set of commands, which are
needed in addition to working with plain CVS. Use of the "lookaside-cache"
(web server storage space for large files not to be placed in CVS). Extra
tools to communicate with build servers.

"make help" inside a checked-out package directory (e.g. devel/PKGNAME)
lists the available commands. Not all are needed for basic packaging.
The Fedora Wiki contains examples about using Fedora package cvs. The
documentation is useful for RPM Fusion, too.

> not sure if this is the same as you mention,

It isn't. "cvs requests" refers to
http://rpmfusion.org/Contributors/CVSRequests
That's something where a person which cvs admin privileges needs
to set up new package modules in CVS.

> For the experienced users on here, you can just pass the info along
> and I can add it, to save you time.

For RPM Fusion, a brief list of the available resources (both hardware and
humans) would be a first step. What machines are available? What tasks do
they perform? Who owns the machines? What OS is installed on the available
machines? What kind of access is available to potential contributors "for
sure"? How to get access? Where are configuration files maintained? What
is being worked on? [I could go on with further questions, but I guess you
get the picture already.]