NVIDIA Rawhide fix?

Nicolas Chauvet kwizart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 22:02:03 CEST 2009

2009/10/6 Adam Williamson <adamwill at shaw.ca>:
> It's quite well-known that NVIDIA proprietary driver doesn't work on
> Rawhide due to a GPL symbol compatibility issue (which only shows up
> with kernel debugging enabled, hence only shows up in Rawhide).
>
> There are workarounds for this, however:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=231340
>
> that look like they could be applied to the NVIDIA build in Fusion.
> Should we apply one so that we get a working NVIDIA package for Rawhide
> in Fusion?
No we shound'n't. There is no purpose of workarounding this feature of
the kernel this way IMHO.

I meant that if we want debugging things from the kernel, we cannot
use nvidia at the same time because debuging will be pointless.
If we want to use nvidia, then we want to turn off debugging on a
kernel that's the other side of the fix (a way better) .

People using this hack is fine, they are on their own. But
redistributing this hack for people not aware of what was done is
another thing.

So what I have in mind is more about to add a warning on the beta serie such as:
"Please test this package only if your hardware is still under
warranty so you can return to the Manufacturer in case of problem."
I'm dirrecly referencing this problem
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131849 which was
raised to this mailing list earlier. (and isn't only proprietary
driver kind of problem, some intel nic had similar issue IIRC).

Nicolas.