NVIDIA Rawhide fix?

Adam Williamson adamwill at shaw.ca
Wed Oct 7 01:25:56 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 22:02 +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> 2009/10/6 Adam Williamson <adamwill at shaw.ca>:
> > It's quite well-known that NVIDIA proprietary driver doesn't work on
> > Rawhide due to a GPL symbol compatibility issue (which only shows up
> > with kernel debugging enabled, hence only shows up in Rawhide).
> >
> > There are workarounds for this, however:
> >
> > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=231340
> >
> > that look like they could be applied to the NVIDIA build in Fusion.
> > Should we apply one so that we get a working NVIDIA package for Rawhide
> > in Fusion?
> No we shound'n't. There is no purpose of workarounding this feature of
> the kernel this way IMHO.
>
> I meant that if we want debugging things from the kernel, we cannot
> use nvidia at the same time because debuging will be pointless.
> If we want to use nvidia, then we want to turn off debugging on a
> kernel that's the other side of the fix (a way better) .

There's no way that 'we' - RPM Fusion - can do that except by issuing
our own kernel. It's a compile-time option, and you're not going to
convince the Fedora kernel maintainers to disable debugging in the
Rawhide kernel compile so that people can use the NVIDIA proprietary
driver.

"I meant that if we want debugging things from the kernel, we cannot use
nvidia at the same time because debuging will be pointless."

Well, yes. I don't see how that bears on the debate, though. If you
report a kernel bug with NVIDIA loaded, you get a comment asking you to
try without it loaded. That's the case whatever we do to the NVIDIA
package to make it work for people who want to use NVIDIA on Rawhide, so
I don't see the relevance of bringing it up. If this were a reason not
to make NVIDIA work, we shouldn't release packages of it at all, ever.

There are legitimate reasons to want to have NVIDIA running on Rawhide.
Fr'instance, it would make it much easier for me to test my video
acceleration stuff, since there is no video acceleration support in
nouveau.

--
adamw