NVIDIA Rawhide fix?

Felix Kaechele felix at fetzig.org
Thu Oct 8 10:28:46 CEST 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: NVIDIA Rawhide fix?
From: Nicolas Chauvet <kwizart at gmail.com>
To: RPM Fusion developers discussion list
<rpmfusion-developers at lists.rpmfusion.org>
Date: 06.10.2009 22:02

> I meant that if we want debugging things from the kernel, we cannot
> use nvidia at the same time because debuging will be pointless.
> If we want to use nvidia, then we want to turn off debugging on a
> kernel that's the other side of the fix (a way better) .

Still, on the other side, there are people who really do use their
rawhide machines for everyday tasks (I do). Maybe they are just
interested in developing/debugging their stuff on the latest versions of
software and don't really care about kernel debugging.

> People using this hack is fine, they are on their own. But
> redistributing this hack for people not aware of what was done is
> another thing.

I believe we shouldn't make peoples lives harder here. I'd opt for a
build time option in the spec to enable this hack.
I don't see why we should leave people alone with the ugly NVIDIA
installer that is quite destructive in the way it installs it's files.

That way we don't need to warrant for the drivers packaged by us but
also offer the option to say: You can recompile the driver with this
special option at your own risk.

That way all people will love us and we eventually are able to take over
the world.
dd

Felix