"yum install kmod-foo" installing wrong versions - problem with kmodtool?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 21 20:33:03 CEST 2009

On 22.09.2009 20:45, Jack Neely wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 08:18:43PM +0100, Chris Nolan wrote:
>> Just a heads up: there has been a lot of user reports of problems
>> recently with all kmods from rpmfusion.
>>
>> I haven't quite got to the bottom of it, but essentially it seems that
>> if you're running the i686 kernel (which is now PAE only) and you
>> install a kmod as usual with "yum install kmod-foo", then it will pull
>> in the i586 version of the kmod instead of the correct i686 PAE version.

That was forseeable even before F11 was released:

http://thorstenl.blogspot.com/2009/05/fedora-11-kernel-pae-and-what-it-means.html

But what is one blog entry that tried to explains the real solution vs.
a whole internet full of slightly misleading or outdated
howtos/FAQs/docs/blogs entries/... :-/

>> The solution/workaround seems to be to remove the i586 kernel and kmod,
>> then you must do "yum install kmod-foo-PAE" specifically. This is
>> causing quite a lot of confusion, and for the sake of our users I think
>> it would be nice if we could fix this so that a "yum install kmod-foo"
>> will install the correct kmod (as it used to I believe).
>> [...]
> This is something that the Yum plugin for kmod v2 will do...once
> written.

Actually I'm wondering if the problem would be better solved if we put
all the different kmods into one package. But that has downsides as well...

Cu