How to move on with infrastructure?

Xavier Lamien laxathom at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 21 23:58:41 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some of you might be aware of it, other not, but we afaics have a
> (whole) lot of medium-sized and small problems in the infrastructure
> area(¹). The main ones from the top of my head:
>
> - our infrastructure team basically consists of just one person: Xavier
> Lamien (laxathom/SmootherFrOgZ)
>
> - multiple people offered to help in the past (²), but not even one of
> those people found its way into the project/the infrastructure team:
> Why? It can't continue like that, as that is a route to fail...
>
> - it sometimes take a lot of time until cvs requests are done
>
> - we have a x86-64 builder that isn't used since a few weeks (months?)
>
> - we afaik were asked to migrate to a different ppc builder but that
> work stalled

The new builder has been configured since a while.
David should move the builder port to the new afaick, any eta on that
if you read us David ?

> - using koji and bodhi for RPM Fusion is something that people are
> asking for every few weeks

As said before. Setup an koji and bodhi instance is not the problem.
We just don't have enough resources right now to build them up.
And those instances have to be part of the infra network.

> - there are multiple small problems (often not in bugzilla) that are
> annoying, but not pressing (no automatic rebuilds, no repoclosure
> scripts, repodata regeneration after push, incomplete delta-rpm support
> are some of them, out-of-diskspace situations, some builders use mock
> caching while others do not, rawhide out of date on of of the builders, ...)
>

> So how to we fix all of the above to make sure RPM Fusion gets more
> healthy over time?

Well,
At a start, we can update the infrastructure page on the wiki with
right path on "how to contribute to infrastructure side" or some kind.

That one is on my todo list.
There will be a bunch of changes in the infra in the next weeks.

--
Xavier.t Lamien