Why are akmod packages arch specific?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Apr 24 14:16:35 CEST 2010

On 24.04.2010 03:22, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Is there any particular reason?

Partly that history iirc, as noarch subpackages were not yet possible in
the early akmod days.

> Can we make them noarch?

Yeah, should be possible, but might be best if tested in rawhide for at
least a short while first.

But here is another thought I wanted to bring up for discussion months
ago: I think it might be easier to build the akmod packages from a
separate source package. That way we avoid the flipping the "%define
buildforkernels newest" macro when updating the package, which quickly
is forgotten, confuses people (afaics), and makes things harder for the
one that is pushing the packages and cleaning up old kmod packages in
the repos.

The downsides: When updating the kmod (e.g. to a newer version or when
integrating a new patch) the maintainer would have to copy the
foo-kmod.spec file and all the sources to a different directory and flip
a bit (the name or a macro). That's a bit more work for the packager,
but more "natural" and hence might be easier for everyone.

Opinions?

Cu