Introduction

John Arntz jsarntz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 23:46:38 CET 2010

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, Andrea Musuruane <musuruan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know these, but AFAIK they only use Italian language:
>
> http://it.altervista.org/
> http://xoom.virgilio.it/

I might be able to find an English equivalent for that. Since I just need to host files, would any of those file sites I mentioned before do the job? I know some of them place limits on how many files/MB's you download within given period of time, so I don't want to make it difficult to fetch the files.

> I disagree with Hans. I would make two separate packages. I
> still
> don't know why upstream put them in the same tarball. They
> are
> different programs in every aspect: one is made in C and
> the other in
> python, they have different build systems and so on. There
> is no
> correlation between the two. I did ask upstream some time
> ago about
> releasing different tarball: one for fceux and the other
> for gceux.
> They told me they would have done so, but it seems they
> forgot. I
> think it is time someone else nag them :)

Based on my experience trying to package the two, I would have to agree with your logic in making them separate packages. From everything I have read, sub-packages are meant for when installed items from a single build need to be split up. These two however, have to be built separately and are independent of one another. Plus one is noarch and the other is arch specific. So when I do submit I will probably submit each separately.

I also agree that upstream needs to clean up their package a bit. I got it to build, but like FCE Ultra, you have to manually setup the file install as scons won't accept --prefix= unless upstream puts it in their scons buildfile. But once I get things going, I'll definitely go bang on upstream's door and let them know.

> I uploaded here the two wips SRPMs I did a long time ago.
> Feel free to
> use what you need.
>
> http://www.webalice.it/musuruan/RPMS/wips/gfceux-2.1.0a-1.fc10.src.rpm
> http://www.webalice.it/musuruan/RPMS/wips/fceux-2.1.0a-1.fc10.src.rpm

Thanks! I'll check them out and so I can see if my .spec files are done correctly. I tried to base the ones I have made off the FCE Utlra spec files, but I think some of the standards have changed since those look like they were part of dribble originally. Thanks again for the input!

Regards,
John