Builders need to run a kernel >= 2.6.32

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:00:52 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 07/23/2010 03:42 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Hans de Goede<j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just a note to people hosting builders, due to glibc changes
>> in rawhide all builders now need run kernels>= 2.6.32, otherwise
>> rawhide / development builds will likely fail.
>
> That's... suboptimal. Pretty sure almost all the builders are
> currently el5-based. I know mine is.

I know.

> Can you point out the kernel changes that are explicitly required
> here? I can look at backporting them for the rhel5 kernel, and
> assuming they aren't too invasive, don't break kabi, etc., I'm pretty
> sure I could talk the rhel5 kernel maintainer into taking 'em...

The new glibc (which will be in the build chroot) was build to not
support kernels < 2.6.32. I'm not sure if it will outright refuse
to run, but it needs a lot of new API's newer futexes amongst one
there was a long list in the Fedora devel mailinglist thread.

I think it is safe to say that backporting to an older kernel is
not the answer :(

AFAIK the current Fedora builders are running EL6 beta2

Regards,

Hans