Builders need to run a kernel >= 2.6.32

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 23 16:14:05 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 07/23/2010 03:42 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Hans de Goede<j.w.r.degoede at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just a note to people hosting builders, due to glibc changes
>>> in rawhide all builders now need run kernels>= 2.6.32, otherwise
>>> rawhide / development builds will likely fail.
>>
>> That's... suboptimal. Pretty sure almost all the builders are
>> currently el5-based. I know mine is.
>>

> I know.
>
>> Can you point out the kernel changes that are explicitly required
>> here? I can look at backporting them for the rhel5 kernel, and
>> assuming they aren't too invasive, don't break kabi, etc., I'm pretty
>> sure I could talk the rhel5 kernel maintainer into taking 'em...
>
> The new glibc (which will be in the build chroot) was build to not
> support kernels < 2.6.32. I'm not sure if it will outright refuse
> to run, but it needs a lot of new API's newer futexes amongst one
> there was a long list in the Fedora devel mailinglist thread.
>
> I think it is safe to say that backporting to an older kernel is
> not the answer :(

Ew, yeah, its not any one feature, its glibc shutting off a bunch of
legacy compat code... I hadn't looked at the thread on fedora-devel
'til now. Sigh.

> AFAIK the current Fedora builders are running EL6 beta2

Yep, Dennis mentioned that to me the other day. He didn't mention
exactly *why*, I just assumed we were eating our own dogfood... Guess
I'll start coming up with a plan for updating my builder.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com