Non-commercial redistributable game data

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon May 17 12:55:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> I've noticed a number of games whose content is distributable as long as
> it's distributed for free.  A few of those games have ended up in Fedora
> but use autodownloader to download the game data.
>
> I really don't like this method because, at least as I understand it,
> the game data ends up in the user's home directory.  If another user
> wants to play the game, they have to redownload the data.
>
> What is the feasibility of providing -data packages in rpmfusion-nonfree
> that would provide the data for said games, so the data could be
> installed system-wide?  Can autodownloader (cc'ing autodownloader
> maintainer) check for game data availability before downloading the data
> off the internet?

Well all autodownloader using games use a .sh script to launch autodownloader
when the data is not present in the expected location, modifying those scripts
to check for game-data under say /usr/share/%{name} first should not be a problem.

Patches for that (together with rpmfusion packages of the data, so that the whole
can be tested together) would definitely be welcome. I'm also always open
to co-maintainers for the Fedora packages in question.

Regards,

Hans