RHEL 6 and kABI/kmod Packaging

Jack Neely jjneely at ncsu.edu
Wed May 19 00:45:36 CEST 2010

> I wanted to port my OpenAFS package to use kABI for the start of a
> working proof of concept, but I was unable to build kABI packages in
> mock.  The find-requires.ksyms script uses the 'join' command which
> groks its file descriptors directly in /dev/fd/*.  That symlink is not
> created in mock's /dev setup.  My attempts to bind mount my workstation's
> /dev into the build chroot made other parts of the chroot creation
> fail.[1]

> [1]: Why this started failing I never figured out:
>
> DEBUG util.py:291:  Executing command: ['perl', '-p', '-i', '-e', 's/^(mockbuild:)!!/$1/;', '/etc/passwd']
> DEBUG util.py:330:  Child returncode was: 2

I discovered this perl scriptlet is failing because mock unmounts /dev
in the chroot before it runs the scriptlet.  Perl can't find /dev/null
and blows up.

Red Hat is building these kABI packages with mock, but I'm unable to get
it to work at this point without patching mock itself.

Does anyone have any advice for getting these mock builds to work?

Jack

--
Jack Neely <jjneely at ncsu.edu>
Linux Czar, OIT Campus Linux Services