RFC: Method for packaging game data (was Re: Non-commercial redistributable game data)

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Wed May 26 07:31:57 CEST 2010

On 2010/05/23 8:06 AM, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> uqm is in Fedora
> autodownloader is in Fedora
> uqm-content is in RPM Fusion
>
> Remove Requires: autodownloader from uqm
> Add Requires: uqm(data) to uqm
> Add Provides: uqm(data) to autodownloader
> Add Provides: uqm(data) to uqm-content

I like this idea, but I think that if possible we should avoid the yum
naming rule. I doubt it will change anytime soon (we should ask a yum
developer), but I think that versioning is something much more solid we
should rely on for this mechanism.

I forget if providing a higher version of a capability means it gets pulled
automatically on yum update... If not though, this would work well:

Add Requires: uqm(data) to uqm
Add Provides: uqm(data) = 1 to autodownloader
Add Provides: uqm(data) = 2 to uqm-content

This way it will be satisfied with autodownloader, but prefer uqm-content by
version and by name. Either way, I guess it comes down to whether or not we
can trust the naming rule being around for a while. If the yum devs promise
it won't go away in the near future, then I think the plan you outlined is
great.

Stewart