Introduction and Review Requests for PhotoFilmStrip

Mario Torre neugens.limasoftware at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:50:47 CET 2011

Il giorno lun, 10/01/2011 alle 22.30 +1100, David Timms ha scritto:
> On 10/01/11 08:24, Mario Torre wrote:
> > This is my first mail to the list, and also my first package review
> > request ever, and so I would like to introduce myself.
> Welcome.
>
> > I wanted to start the process directly within the Fedora umbrella, but I
> > don't think this is possible since PhotoFilmStrip requires mencoder to
> > do any useful job (although it doesn't need it to run, it needs it to
> > create the movies).
> So it sounds like it can technically be in Fedora, from what you are
> saying. Does that mean it can actually startup and accept input without
> mencoder installed ?
> Can it do anything useful at all (eg output to an open format like ogg ?
>
> If so, maybe it would be reasonable to have the application itself in
> Fedora, and separately package PhotoFilmStrip-mencoder/bad in RPMFusion
> (which is designed to bring in the Requires: as needed for full
> functionality ?
>
> Asking on the Fedora packaging list should get a definite answer.
> packaging at lists.fedoraproject.org

Hello David,

I asked for advice to the list, and this is the reply that I got:

------

Since the program is unable to perform its primary function without
mencoder I'm pretty sure the following guideline [1] applies:

"...packages which are not functional or useful without code or
packages
from third-party sources are not acceptable for inclusion in Fedora."

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Packages_which_are_not_useful_without_external_bits

------

Cheers,
Mario

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards: