Introduction and Review Requests for PhotoFilmStrip

Mario Torre neugens.limasoftware at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 00:32:52 CET 2011

2011/1/10 David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au>:

Hello David,

>> I wanted to start the process directly within the Fedora umbrella, but I
>> don't think this is possible since PhotoFilmStrip requires mencoder to
>> do any useful job (although it doesn't need it to run, it needs it to
>> create the movies).
> So it sounds like it can technically be in Fedora, from what you are
> saying. Does that mean it can actually startup and accept input without
> mencoder installed ?
> Can it do anything useful at all (eg output to an open format like ogg ?

I tried without mencoder. I can edit the movie and save the project
(in a PhotoFiltStrip proprietary format), but then I cannot render it,
I get a python stack trace telling me that mencoder is missing as soon
as I hit on the green check box to render the movie.

When mencoder is intalled, the recognised file type are:

Mpeg*
Flash
AVI

> If so, maybe it would be reasonable to have the application itself in
> Fedora, and separately package PhotoFilmStrip-mencoder/bad in RPMFusion
> (which is designed to bring in the Requires: as needed for full
> functionality ?
>
> Asking on the Fedora packaging list should get a definite answer.
> packaging at lists.fedoraproject.org

Of course I can ask,  and maybe I can patch the application to not
require mencoder but to save in flash format as default (although I
have to check how it does the export), although I think this package
really needs mencoder to be usable, it doesn't sound to be useful at
all without that, the editing capabilities are quite limited, it can
rotate the single photos and do a couple of simple effects (like b/w
and sepia), for anything more complicated one should use better tools
in my opinion, otherwise the risk is to have a python program that can
just rotate photos in a batch (but can only save the result in a
proprietary format then!!).

Cheers,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/

Please, support open standards: