Need advice: Migration of mythtv config data

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 20:41:04 CEST 2012

Well, until something changes upstream, Mythtv currently uses the
MYTHCONFDIR (and falls back to HOME) for where to store configuration
data. Which is not really a problem. The problem is instead of
creating another environment for cache or other non-config data, they
use the same MYTHCONFDIR.

This means that a lot of stuff is being stored in /etc/mythtv that
shouldn't be. Since I don't have a good way of splitting it up short
of some major patching to the source, I'm thinking of just moving the
config dir to /var/lib/mythtv which already exists.

The problem is how to migrate the current data? I'm guessing it would
have to be done in %post, something like:

%post
if [ $1 -gt 1 ] ; then
cp -a %{_sysconfdir}/%{name} %{_sharedstatedir}/ &> /dev/null || :

and this putting some sort of readme file in /etc/mythtv so anyone
looking will know what's happened....

Comments?

Thanks,
Richard