[RPM Fusion] Issue with fedora's openssl package for libbluray/libaacs

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Mon Jun 11 20:27:52 CEST 2012

On 06/11/2012 06:08 PM, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may know, the libaacs package from RPM Fusion rely on openssl
> functions that have been disabled in the fedora package for some
> reason.

This is actually libgcrypt, not openssl, but this is the same issue. ECC
is possibly patent-encumbered and thus disabled in both packages.
The issue is still blocked by  Fedora Legal.

> This lead the libaacs package to be partially unuseable for it's target usage.
>
> I would like to list what would be possible workarounds for this
> issue. We likely need to build a openssl-freeworld package:
> - Build a similar package and drop a file in ld.conf.d to make it
> system wide ? (the freetype-freeworld way)
> This seems unpractical as we may produce unknown behavior and
> un-certified code path with others applications.

That was the solution I was looking at, but I've not finished up the
work yet. If this is not an acceptable solution, please let me know so I
don't resume work on it if this is doomed to be rejected.

> - Build a shared object with another SONAME so packages liked with the
> freeworld version will not conflict with package linked with the
> fedora version.
> (It will eventually be possible to relink the so to the the fedora
> SONAME manually in a second step).
> - Build the freeworld version statically.
>
> The question to sync the patch between fedora and RPM Fusion VCS is a
> big question until we move to git, so I hope that progress will be
> made in this area soon.
> If not we may experiment an openssl-freeworld to be possibily behind
> the fedora version.
>
> Any thoughts on that ?

Glad you ask the question on the list, I should have done that myself
earlier.

Regards,
Xavier