ffmpeg-0.11

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 19 03:26:27 CEST 2012

Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> I don't disagree with the "How" but I still doesn't understand the  "why
> ?"

Because RPM doesn't have a concept of runtime-only dependencies.

> At least would you agree with the concept that having the backend at
> build time isn't usefull

But it's needed at runtime. Phonon doesn't work without a backend.

> But then it end up having gstreamer as a BR which is pretty bad for
> bootstraping an underlying ABI break in dependencies, so it just move
> the problem elsewhere without fixing it.

GStreamer doesn't depend on Phonon, so this has never been an issue. And
it'd be a problem for Fedora, not RPM Fusion, anyway.

> FYI, the vlc package should have been fixed, so I consider your
> presentation of vlc breakage a little bit unfair, specially as the
> needed patch was available month agos and I only needed a backport in
> the appropriate schedule.

But this is not the first time we run into this problem. It occurs at least
each time FFmpeg bumps its ABI. (There too, GStreamer is nicer because it
does NOT have a hard dependency on FFmpeg.) Or any other of VLC's many
dependencies. And you also said that it's a problem for bootstrapping VLC
itself. (Does VLC really end up depending on Phonon? Why?)

        Kevin Kofler