FFmepg rebuild Schedule ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 26 01:38:48 CEST 2012

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hmm, 0.7 is too old. gstt-ffmpeg needs 0.10,

0.6/0.7 is also way too old from a feature point of view.

Seeing some packages (e.g. transcode) switch to ffmpeg-compat because they
don't build with the latest FFmpeg actually worries me, they're actually
being downgraded to an ancient FFmpeg, with fewer, less powerful and more
buggy codecs. I think that is a very bad solution.

>>> 4) Package libav in such a way that it is parallel installable to
>>> ffmpeg, use a system
>> Last I've checked, it couldn't be done without forging a non-existant
>> ABI as ffmpeg/libav are mutually exclusive system wide.
>
> Right, so we would need to install it into a different library dir, use
> rpath tricks, and pray that no apps ever uses both gstreamer and directly
> links to ffmpeg, not a nice prospect I agree.

Using both GStreamer and FFmpeg directly is not going to work either if you
use the bundled libav, unless it gets built as a static library with ONLY
hidden symbols (-fvisibility=hidden and the export macros disabled
entirely). If it gets built with exported symbols enabled, it will be
exporting some of the same symbols, so there WILL be symbol conflicts.

        Kevin Kofler