NVIDIA driver and graphical grub2?

Jochen Schmitt Jochen at herr-schmitt.de
Thu May 17 16:50:34 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 01:24:15PM +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
 > Hi Adam,

> I don't understand why the nvidia driver would have any impact on the
> grub2 level.
> The only option used by the driver is not nomodeset but
> nouveau.nomodeset=0 and rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau which doesn't
> involve the nvidia driver at this time.

Question: Do you do a bios-based or an EFI-based boot on grub2.

I for mayself try to get working a grub2-efi on a MacBoot Pro with a
nVidia graphic adapter. Because I don't got the graphical login
screen, I have added the entry ' 3' to the kernel parameters and
restart the system.

The result was, that I have got a graphical boot and got the console
based login. When I tried to start X on this system, the start iüp
process of the nVidia driver fails. The /var/log/Xorg.0.log file
told be, that the driver wants to connect to VT number 7 which
seems not to exist after a EFI-based boot.

Perhaps anyone can tell me, how I can configure the driver to use
VT number 0 or VT number 1 to connect.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt