[RPM Fusion] Issue with fedora's openssl package for libbluray/libaacs

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Fri Jul 19 15:50:08 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 06/11/2012 08:27 PM, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> On 06/11/2012 06:08 PM, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > As you may know, the libaacs package from RPM Fusion rely on openssl
>> > functions that have been disabled in the fedora package for some
>> > reason.
> This is actually libgcrypt, not openssl, but this is the same issue. ECC
> is possibly patent-encumbered and thus disabled in both packages.
> The issue is still blocked by  Fedora Legal.
>
>> > This lead the libaacs package to be partially unuseable for it's target usage.
>> >
>> > I would like to list what would be possible workarounds for this
>> > issue. We likely need to build a openssl-freeworld package:
>> > - Build a similar package and drop a file in ld.conf.d to make it
>> > system wide ? (the freetype-freeworld way)
>> > This seems unpractical as we may produce unknown behavior and
>> > un-certified code path with others applications.
> That was the solution I was looking at, but I've not finished up the
> work yet. If this is not an acceptable solution, please let me know so I
> don't resume work on it if this is doomed to be rejected.

I've finally had some time to look into this more and I now have a
libgcrypt-freeworld package build along the same tricks as freetype-freeworld.
This removes the need for pre-calculated VUKs for libaacs and thus allows much
simpler bluray reading.

spec : http://www.bachelot.org/fedora/SPECS/libgcrypt-freeworld.spec
srpm :
http://www.bachelot.org/fedora/SRPMS/libgcrypt-freeworld-1.5.2-1.fc19.1.src.rpm

I'd be glad if someone can take a look and evaluate if that's worth submitting
for review.

>> > - Build a shared object with another SONAME so packages liked with the
>> > freeworld version will not conflict with package linked with the
>> > fedora version.
>> > (It will eventually be possible to relink the so to the the fedora
>> > SONAME manually in a second step).
>> > - Build the freeworld version statically.

I've not cut the solutions above, in order to keep some context, even if this is
not what I've done.

Regards,
Xavier