Moving xine-lib and dependent apps to RPM Fusion Free for F17?

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Wed Jun 26 23:30:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 01/06/2012 09:57 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/05/2012 08:56 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the current xine-lib maintainer speaking. :-)
>>
>> The Xine project:
>> http://www.xine-project.org/home
>> has recently released a new major version, version 1.2.0.
>>

> <snip>
>
>> (d) Move the whole thing (back) to RPM Fusion (where it originally was, before
>>      we started needing xine-lib for Amarok and Phonon, which both no longer
>>      use it). It would go to the Free section, of course.
>> My proposal is to go with (d).
>>
>> The following packages currently depend on xine-lib:
>> * gxine
>> * (k9copy – already in RPM Fusion, not affected)
>> * kaffeine (my package, the reason why I maintain xine-lib in the first place)
>> * oxine
>> * xine-plugin
>> * xine-ui
>> These packages would have to move to RPM Fusion along with xine-lib.
>>
>> In Kaffeine's case, upstream is switching from xine-lib to MPlayer in their git
>> repository, so it will likely have to move to RPM Fusion sooner or later
>> anyway. This means the affected packages are basically *xine*.
>>
>> So my plan is to retire (for my packages, resp. have the respective maintainer
>> retire) the listed packages in Fedora for Fedora ≥ 17 and get (or have the
>> respective maintainer get) them into RPM Fusion Free instead. (I'd take care
>> of xine-lib and kaffeine myself, I hope the maintainers of the other packages
>> will take care of them.)
>
> Sounds good, I say go for it!
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

It's probably a bit late for F17, as F19 is almost out the door (!), but I now
have a specfile merging and cleaning the bits from Fedora and RPM Fusion for
xine-lib 1.2.3. It's also adding support for VAAPI and VDPAU. 2 patches to allow
building VAAPI got pushed upstream along the way.

I'm attaching a preliminary version to this mail. It still need a bit of
cleaning though. Given the changes involved, I think it might be a good idea to
re-review it.

As previously written, I'm not fully confortable taking over the maintenance of
this package and the dependant ones so I'd be grateful if anyone would be
willing to maintain/co-maintain it.

Regards,
xavier