i686 binary packages in the x86_64 repository

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 19:22:31 CEST 2013

Hello,

the Steam review has been taken, however the reviewer wonders if the
infrastructure can cope with i686 binary packages being pushed to the
x86_64 repository. I thought it was possible, but this is my first review
in RPMFusion so I don't know details of the infrastructure.

When installing in a x86_64 system, the package pulls in the correct 32 bit
dependencies. Currently I'm using Steam with 65 games on a 64 bit Fedora 19
host.

The same package is the currently suggested one [1] from Valve for running
Steam on both i386 and x86_64 hosts. The package was created by me and
adjusted based on feedback from the Steam community forum with users
providing additional information and testing pulling from my personal
repository page [2]. In fact, 99% of the users run a 64 bit distribution.

It would be a shame not to see this appear in RPMFusion just for a limit of
the infrastructure.

Can the i686 be pushed also to the x86_64 repository once reviewed?

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

[1] https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Fedora
[2] http://negativo17.org/steam/

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/