i686 binary packages in the x86_64 repository

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 19:58:05 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-23 19:22, Simone Caronni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the Steam review has been taken, however the reviewer wonders if the
> infrastructure can cope with i686 binary packages being pushed to the
> x86_64 repository. I thought it was possible, but this is my first
> review in RPMFusion so I don't know details of the infrastructure.
>
> When installing in a x86_64 system, the package pulls in the correct
> 32 bit dependencies. Currently I'm using Steam with 65 games on a 64
> bit Fedora 19 host.
>
> The same package is the currently suggested one [1] from Valve for
> running Steam on both i386 and x86_64 hosts. The package was created
> by me and adjusted based on feedback from the Steam community forum
> with users providing additional information and testing pulling from
> my personal repository page [2]. In fact, 99% of the users run a 64
> bit distribution.
>
> It would be a shame not to see this appear in RPMFusion just for a
> limit of the infrastructure.
>
> Can the i686 be pushed also to the x86_64 repository once reviewed?
>
> Thanks & regards,

I wonder if the simple answer is just "No, you can't" . OTOH, isn't it
perfectly viable to install a 32-bit package on a x86_64 host using e.
g., yum install steam.i386?  If that is seen as a little awkward, one
could probably create subpackages with correct architecture which pulls
in steam.i386 (?)

--alec