CDRtools in RPMFusion

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 22:17:01 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Susi Lehtola <
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:39:57 -0500
> Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I would like to merge my current CDRtools package [1] in RPMFusion. It
> > > currently has quite a large user base. It is used by people who needs
> > > burn Dual Layer DVDs or Blue Ray discs. Currently cdrkit (wodim) is not
> > > able to burn them; actually it never had since its first exception.
> > >

> > Sounds good. I looked at it earlier but eventually gave up not only
> because
> > of the license issue (I was taking another shot at getting it in Fedora)
> > but because it doesn't replace the existing tools 1:1 so packaging just
> got
> > too complicated for my level of interest. Additionally I got my BD-R
> discs
> > burning quite well using cdrskin via libburn.
>
> IANAL, but I believe the same reasons that prevent inclusion of
> CDRtools into Fedora prevent it from inclusion into RPMFusion. The
> program is breaking free software licenses (CDDL linking GPL and the
> two are incompatible by design of CDDL), which makes redistribution (in
> binary form) impossible.

To be fair, Jorg believes that CDDL linking to GPL is not a problem, but
Fedora legal felt otherwise. I think it would be fair to say that the
license compatibility is unclear. I also looked at using an alternative C
library (Clang) but I'm not enough of a programmer to do that.

Richard

Richard