CDRtools in RPMFusion

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 22:53:43 CEST 2013

On 23 October 2013 22:17, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Susi Lehtola <
> jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> IANAL, but I believe the same reasons that prevent inclusion of
>> CDRtools into Fedora prevent it from inclusion into RPMFusion. The
>> program is breaking free software licenses (CDDL linking GPL and the
>> two are incompatible by design of CDDL), which makes redistribution (in
>> binary form) impossible.
>

> To be fair, Jorg believes that CDDL linking to GPL is not a problem, but
> Fedora legal felt otherwise. I think it would be fair to say that the
> license compatibility is unclear. I also looked at using an alternative C
> library (Clang) but I'm not enough of a programmer to do that.

I think the most relevant part for banning cdrtools was the behaviour of
the main developer :)

So do you think this unclear compatibility means a no-go for RPMFusion
inclusion? Or on the contrary could be included due to "relaxed" licensing
compared to Fedora?
FreeBSD ships some patches for compiling CDRtools with Clang, if I can
assemble the package with it would be ok?

--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/