CDRtools in RPMFusion

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 23:14:00 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 23 October 2013 22:17, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Susi Lehtola <
>> jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>>> IANAL, but I believe the same reasons that prevent inclusion of
>>> CDRtools into Fedora prevent it from inclusion into RPMFusion. The
>>> program is breaking free software licenses (CDDL linking GPL and the
>>> two are incompatible by design of CDDL), which makes redistribution (in
>>> binary form) impossible.
>>

>> To be fair, Jorg believes that CDDL linking to GPL is not a problem, but
>> Fedora legal felt otherwise. I think it would be fair to say that the
>> license compatibility is unclear. I also looked at using an alternative C
>> library (Clang) but I'm not enough of a programmer to do that.
>>

> I think the most relevant part for banning cdrtools was the behaviour of
> the main developer :)

Agreed. Jorg is very intelligent, but his people skills leave much to be
desired. :) And it doesn't help that he refuses to change the license, or
that he doesn't like make and had to come up with his own replacement,
smake.

So do you think this unclear compatibility means a no-go for RPMFusion
> inclusion? Or on the contrary could be included due to "relaxed" licensing
> compared to Fedora?
> FreeBSD ships some patches for compiling CDRtools with Clang, if I can
> assemble the package with it would be ok?

I would say, "possibly". You'd need to make sure it doesn't link to
anything "GPL"...

$ ldd cdrecord
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffbe9fe000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x0000003f1c400000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000003f1c000000)

But if you can do that, then it could technically go back in Fedora.

Richard