introducing 3e-calendar

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon May 5 12:12:01 CEST 2014

On 05/05/2014 11:31 AM, solarflow99 wrote:
> Are you new to package building?  I was also not a fedora packager
> when I came on here, so I went through the online instructions to make
> sure they were as simple as possible, just the way package building
> should be.  Lots of others are willing to help too, did you read the
> process on the website?
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Michal Altmann
> <michal.altmann at zonio.net <mailto:michal.altmann at zonio.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello, I would like to introduce myself as a packager of our product
>     called 3e server.

Hi, and welcome!

>     I have a question about
>     non-open source codes, because our product is free only for some
>     limited count of users, we do not want to place source code in
>     required SRPM package. I was thinking about some kind of installer,
>     which download precompiled binaries from our website like in the case
>     of flash plugin. Is this an only option?

No, you have multiple options:
- The most straight-forward would be to package a closed source package,
e. g.,  like the nvidia drivers. In this case you publilsh binary blobs,
and package those using the binary as "source" in the rpm sense.
- You might consider to publish your own repository. Creating a
repository is not hard. However, you will probably need some help to
create the packages first anyway.
- The iinstaller solutions used for e. g., flash and spotify and steam
reflects the fact that the vendors does not allow redistribution of
their binary code.

You might want to consider  allowing redistribution or not proceeding.
Allowing redistribution (like Nvidia) make packaging much easier.
However, since you don't have control in this case there is a risk that
e. g., other distributions might distribute outdated content. I think
this is the reason other vendors does not allow it, or just distributes
an installer.

cheers!

--alec