introducing 3e-calendar

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Tue May 6 10:43:10 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-06 08:48, Michal Altmann wrote:
> Hi, thank you for your replies. My comment's are in the text bellow
[cut]

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have a question about
>>> non-open source codes, because our product is free only for some
>>> limited count of users, we do not want to place source code in
>>> required SRPM package. I was thinking about some kind of installer,
>>> which download precompiled binaries from our website like in the case
>>> of flash plugin. Is this an only option?
>> No, you have multiple options:
>> - The most straight-forward would be to package a closed source package, e.
>> g.,  like the nvidia drivers. In this case you publish binary blobs, and
>> package those using the binary as "source" in the rpm sense.
>> - You might consider to publish your own repository. Creating a repository
>> is not hard. However, you will probably need some help to create the
>> packages first anyway.
>> - The installer solutions used for e. g., flash and spotify and steam
>> reflects the fact that the vendors does not allow redistribution of their
>> binary code.
>>
>> You might want to consider allowing redistribution or not before proceeding.
>> Allowing redistribution (like Nvidia) make packaging much easier. However,
>> since you don't have control in this case there is a risk that e. g., other
>> distributions might distribute outdated content. I think this is the reason
>> other vendors does not allow it, or just distributes an installer.
>>

>> cheers!
>>
>> --alec
>>
> Thank you for very useful explanation. After reading this :
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines?rd=Packaging/Guidelines,
> especially section 'No inclusion of pre-built binaries or libraries' I
> was a little bit confused how can we deal with it.
It's easy to get confused, because *almost* everything in the Fedora
packaging guidelines applies also to rpmfusion..This is one of the
exceptions, though.

BTW, I'd guess that unless you have some contacts the real bottleneck
here is to become sponsored. Your goal here is to package this
particular sw. However, becoming sponsored normally needs much more
activity than that, sponsors sponsor people after they have been active
in much more than just a single package. Also, it's sometime easier to
get sponsored in Fedora than in rpmfusion, but then you need to submit
more packages. See [1]. Note that if you're sponsored in Fedora this
applies also to rpmfusion.

Cheers!

--alec

[1]