ffmpeg-2.4 released

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 07:42:22 CEST 2014

W dniu 15.10.2014 o 00:38, Sérgio Basto pisze:
> Hi,
>
> On Ter, 2014-10-07 at 08:02 +0200, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>>>
>> Please be advised that 2.3 was recently removed from the maintained
>> branches list:
>>
>> https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-September/162904.html
>>
>> Thus, if we ever rebase F-20, we should use 2.2 and not 2.3.
>
> The mode I like to work and to coordinate the mass rebuild for a stable
> branch (F-20), is first be test in devel . We have packages in devel, we
> test it for some time and when we can say that are stable , so we could
> *copy* to F-20 , another point was: mass rebuild was for ffmpeg/x264 ,
> not only ffmpeg .
> So it is important have .specs for packages that compile in all Fedora
> releases. Having 2 trees, one for F20, other for devel , is just
> justified when is a very core package like udev or systemd  ... , but
> for rpmfusion the point is other, maintainers are not aware ...
> So *theoretically* my solution was build ffmpeg 2.2 in devel, test it
> and copy to F-20 , but devel already have 2.3 so is not practical .
>
> Moving forward, just update "ffmpeg" on F20 seems to me acceptable ,
> like you wrote "only libavfilter has a soname bump (snip) This means
> that we really only need to rebuild dvdstyler, mpv and xbmc." but we
> miss the test phase, we need guarantee that ffmpeg version was tested ,
> any suggestion ?

ffmpeg-2.2 was in devel between March and August. Moreover, the reason
why upstream picked it over 2.3 was that it is used by more downstream
distros: OpenSUSE, SUSE Enterprise and ROSA [1]. If we let it sit in
-testing for a bit longer than usual, I believe this will be enough.

> Saying that and giving up mass rebuild ffmpeg/x264 for F-20, no need
> preserve devel as is and we can do the mass rebuild for ffmpeg 2.4 on
> devel , anything pending ?

I don't think anything has changed since last time: dvbcut and
kmediafactory fail to rebuild, vlc needs a patch, everything else builds
fine. David Timms was working on making dvbcut work, but I have not
heard from him regarding whether he was successful.

> BTW what packages (.spec) do you have ? that are different from stable
> branches to devel ?

Only ffmpeg and mplayer. ffmpeg due to its numerous dependencies, and
mplayer because it is highly dependent on ffmpeg.

> Thanks and best regards,

Thank you.

[1] https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Downstreams