ffmpeg for EL7

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Aug 25 22:19:49 CEST 2016

On 08/25/2016 06:28 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 August 2016 at 10:24, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 08/25/2016 10:01 AM, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> [...]
>>> Specially as ffmpeg doesn't do symbol version, if one process has
>>> dependencies using both version, it will crash.
>> AFAIU, as long as these packages are properly linked (and not libraries
>> not being dlopened), package deps on SONAMEs would conflict and thus
>> prevent such problems.
>
> The point is that not all SONAMEs change with each FFmpeg version bump,
> so, for example, ffmpeg-3.0.x and ffmpeg-3.1.x may have mostly the same
> SONAMEs.

Here is an attempt at ffmpeg2.8 and ffmpeg3.0.  This relies on different
sonames for all libraries.

If there was overlap, we could move the libraries into %{_libdir}/ffmpegX.X
and use ldconfig.  I was going to start looking at 3.1 next.

As Ralf noted, the -devel (and -debuginfo) packages conflict, though this
could be worked around as well.  Also, usually not necessary as you're
generally only building against one at a time.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com