Current status of kernel modules

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Oct 14 19:53:42 CEST 2007

On 14.10.2007 18:40, Stewart Adam wrote:

> What are your comments, ideas or opinions about packaging kernel
> modules? Fedora has technically banned them AFAIK, but that won't go
> well for the proprietary drivers... Should we have both kmod and dkms
> available, or maybe something else?

Some notes from my side:

* I'm fine with either using both kmods and dkms for all modules or
banning modules for the start completely and leaving them in freshrpms
and livna for now. The latter is *iirc* what thias suggested last time
we talked about it

* "or maybe something else" -- I have some stuff here on my machine that
can dynamically rebuild and install kmod.src.rpms. But well, it's not
ready for primetime yet. Other work (mainly for rpmfusion) kept me away
from it :-/

Cu