Current status of kernel modules

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Oct 14 20:17:01 CEST 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 14.10.2007 18:40, Stewart Adam wrote:
>> What are your comments, ideas or opinions about packaging kernel
>> modules? Fedora has technically banned them AFAIK, but that won't go
>> well for the proprietary drivers... Should we have both kmod and dkms
>> available, or maybe something else?
>
> Some notes from my side:
>
> * I'm fine with either using both kmods and dkms for all modules or
> banning modules for the start completely and leaving them in freshrpms
> and livna for now. The latter is *iirc* what thias suggested last time
> we talked about it

I'm strongly against leaving kmod's / dkms in the old repo's we want the old
repo's to go away. Not because the old repo's are bad, but for clarity to the
end user.

> * "or maybe something else" -- I have some stuff here on my machine that
> can dynamically rebuild and install kmod.src.rpms. But well, it's not
> ready for primetime yet. Other work (mainly for rpmfusion) kept me away
> from it :-/

Well for both ati and nvidea spec files have been made which build both kmod
and dkms, with them both using the same userspace support, so the user can
choose (or yum will choose the shortest named one if the user doesn't, but foes
install the userspace part).

Regards,

Hans